Medical and Biological Engineering integrates physical, mathematical and life sciences with engineering principles for the study of biology, medicine and health systems and for the application of technology to improving health and quality of life. It creates knowledge from the molecular to organ systems levels, develops materials, devices, systems, information approaches, technology management, and methods for assessment and evaluation of technology, for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease, for health care delivery and for patient care and rehabilitation.
The mission of the IFMBE is to encourage, support, represent and unify the world-wide Medical and Biological Engineering community in order to promote health and quality of life through advancement of research, development, application and management of technology.
1. To function as the leader in representing the international community of medical and biological engineering
- Implement a mechanism to achieve consensus on Federation activities among IFMBE’s constituent societies.
- Recognizing regional diversity, encourage and facilitate the formation of regional alliances to address regional issues.
- Implement a global network of societies and individuals that encompass the broad spectrum of scientific, engineering and professional interests.
- Maintain and strengthen existing Divisions and initiate new Divisions that address special needs of the medical and biological engineering community.
- Promote and represent the profession at the international level.
2. To foster the creation, dissemination and application of medical and biological engineering knowledge and the management of technology for improved health and quality of life
- Identify future needs in which the participation of medical and biological engineering is essential.
- Facilitate collaboration and cooperation and information exchange between its member societies and their constituent members.
- Provide high-quality scientific and educational publications and up-to-date information reflecting the interests of the profession.
- Increase speed of information dissemination and accessibility using electronic means.
- Facilitate regional and international conferences, topical workshops and other forums for exchange of scientific, professional and policy development. Co-sponsor joint conferences.
- Facilitate collaboration with medical societies.
3. To promote the development of the medical and biological engineering profession, and the recognition and awareness of the profession by the public
- Encourage individuals, national and trans-national societies to become advocates for the profession with educational institutions, industry and government.
- Help to support regional and national organizations, enhance their visibility and promote national understanding of the field and the profession.
- Develop written and electronic material that can be used to advance understanding and recognition of the field.
- Contribute to the development of medical and biological engineers human resource development through education and training.
- Co-sponsor conferences and special workshops.
- Conduct special projects that are of interest to the regional and international medical and biological engineering community and that have potential benefits to the population of a significant number of countries.
- Increase the use of Academy members.
4. To advance collaboration between national and transnational societies, industry, government and non-governmental organizations engaged in health care and in biomedical research and its applications
- Establish effective communication between constituent societies.
- Establish an Industrial Forum. Collaborate and work with industry at the national, regional and international levels to promote “better health for all humanity”.
- Assist in addressing special needs of developing countries and regions.
5. To recommend policies and provide guidelines in appropriate professional, educational and ethical areas
- Set guidelines for accreditation of post-graduate medical and biological engineering and coordinate regional accreditation activities.
- Set guidelines for professional practice for medical and biological engineering involved in health care delivery and guidelines for regional professional certification.
- Promulgate code of ethics.
6. To enable IFMBE to achieve its goals effectively, optimize the organizational structure and communication and enhance its finances.
- Produce a manual establishing Policies and Procedures for the organization. Optimize IFMBE’s organizational function to take maximum advantage of its members.
- Use electronic media to increase the frequency of communication among individual members, the Administration Council members, and among the National Secretaries, Divisions and Working Groups
- Improve and maintain a strong financial position.
- Finances: Develop new sources of revenue.