To: All Members of the International Science Council (ISC)
Dear ISC Members,
We very much hope that you had a smooth start into 2022 and we convey our warmest wishes for a safe and happy new year to you, your colleagues and families. Did you get a chance to browse our most popular stories from 2021? https://council.science/current/blog/top-stories-2021/
Please find below the most recent updates from the International Science Council and the ISC community.
- Reminder: ISC vacancies
The ISC is currently looking for two consultants and one intern to support our communications team and to lead the ISC Future of Scientific Publishing project. Thank you for your consideration to share the vacancies with your colleagues, members and wider networks: https://council.science/about-us/jobs/.
- Digital Communications Intern – application deadline: 14 January 2022
- Senior Digital Strategist – application deadline: 16 January 2022 (extended)
- Senior Campaign Manager – application deadline: 16 January 2022 (extended)
- ISC Activity and Achievement Report (2018 – 2021) published
During the 2nd ISC General Assembly, the ISC President and CEO presented a report of ISC activities and achievements during the first three years of operation of the Council. The report is now published and shows to which extent the ISC and its Members are succeeding in pursuing our mission to advance science a s a global public good. Thanks to all our Members for contributing to the ISC’s successful first three-year term.
Access the report: https://council.science/publications/activity-achievement-report-2018-2021/
- General Assembly Souvenir
During the 2nd ISC General Assembly, the ISC invited pianist Christoph Spangenberg to play live piano music throughout the meeting. His original piece “Eye as Sea”, played at the opening and closing of the meeting, was composed especially for this General Assembly to celebrate the coming together of ISC Members.
You are cordially invited to download the audio file “Eye as Sea” as well as a shortened mobile phone ringtone version as a souvenir to the 2nd ISC General Assembly: https://council.science/about-us/governance/general-assembly/ga-2021/#Music.
- ISC lecture series on the history of scientific publishing
In the frame of the ISC project on the Future of Scientific Publishing, we produced an eight-part educational video series featuring ISC Patron Ismail Serageldin who traces the history of scientific publishing through 50 centuries of innovation – from clay tablets to digital publishing and emerging technologies – and explores how science flourished around the world in step with the development of materials for writing and printing, as well as through the establishment of libraries and, later, learned societies, including some of ISC Members.
- Opportunities within the ISC community
- Guiding global ocean mapping efforts – Call for nominations for experts to the Global Bathymetry Chart Guiding Committee (deadline: 11 January)
- Call for proposals for the Future Earth Pathways communication grants (deadline: 31 January)
- Express interest in upcoming research funding opportunity on integrated systems approaches to accurately characterize migration and mobility and its intersection with Global Change (deadline: 1 February)
- Call for proposals for the 2022 Human Development and Capability Association Conference (deadline: 15 February)
- Share your experience as science communicator in the frame of the GlobalSCAPE research project and win 500 USD (deadline: ongoing)
- Funding call for project proposal: Evidence-based strategies to combat health mis- and disinformation and to increase the uptake of reliable health information are critical to an effective and equitable pandemic response (ongoing)
- Upcoming events within the ISC community
- 18 – 19 January: Transforming peri-urban futures – https://council.science/events/transforming-peri-urban-futures/
- 24 – 26 January: Pre-Conference Workshops for African Kick-off Conference for the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development – https://council.science/events/workshops-african-kick-off-ocean-decade/
- 31 January – 1 February: Achieving Net Zero Emissions: The Roles of Academia – https://council.science/events/achieving-net-zero-emissions-roles-academia/
- 3 – 7 April: Emerging Concepts of the Neuronal Cytoskeleton – https://council.science/events/emerging-concepts-neuronal-cytoskeleton/
Please feel free to share the above opportunities and events with your networks. As always, all opportunities and updates for ISC Members can be found on the ISC Membership Notice Board: https://council.science/members/membership-notice-board/.
We continue to stand ready to amplify and share your events, e-learning courses or podcasts, as well as calls for nominations, vacancies and other opportunities and initiatives with the ISC community via our website and social media channels. Please let us know so we can share your information and contributions.
With best regards,
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: council.science/newsletter
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/ISC
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/InternationalScience
Find us on Instagram: instagram.com/council.science
Connect with us on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/international-science-council
Engage with #UnlockingScience: https://council.science/unlockingscience
ISC on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/InternationalScienceCouncil